Monday, May 12, 2008

Back from Vacation...in more ways than one

So I know I've been completely ignoring my blog for oh...6 months now. I don't think I really 'got' the whole blog thing but now that I'm reading other peoples' so frequently, I'd like to pick back up on mine.


My husband and I just got back from our annual trip to Memphis, TN. We love it there and hope to someday move either there or Nashville. We drove down (yup, 17 hours from New Jersey) and toured a bit of Nashville along the way. In lieu of the 'normal' tourist routine, we chose the slightly cheesier route, visiting the Duke's of Hazzard Museum and the Country Music Wax Museum.....



(these photos are to stand as proof that I could NOT have made up the Duke's of Hazzard Museum...it's free by the way)


After that we continued down Rt. 40 into Memphis...we toured the zoo, hung out on Beale Street, and took a couple of carriage rides around the downtown areas. We also had tickets for and made a few brief appearances at the Beale Street Music Festival - a truly awesome event that's consistently just a little too crowded and muddy for us. Some of the highlights we did manage to see however were Aretha Franklin, Buddy Guy, and the Black Crowes.


Sunday's activity was by far my favorite though, visiting Graceland for the second time. If you know me, you know I adore Elvis and all things Elvis...to a near frightening degree. If you don't know me, well...you'll figure it out soon enough. We spent the better part of the day touring around and spending far too much money on Elvis related paraphernalia. If you're interested, here are some of the shots from that day...







If you want to see more, just leave me a comment with an e-mail address and I'll let you know as soon as I get them all uploaded to Flickr.


And on the way home we had lunch at an unplanned and beautiful little surprise of a stop. We swung by the Loveless Cafe after reading about it in a tourism brochure. When I tell you the BEST fried chicken & biscuits I've ever had (coming from a family of great cooks) I mean it. You can buy all of thier signature stuff here (save for the biscuits) and I highly recommend it- http://hamsandjams.com/ We'll definitely be shopping there once the stash we brought home with us runs out.


So we've been back about a week and are getting back into the swing of work and regular home life....but are not happy about it.


Check back tomorrow for updates on Speedracer, nostalgia, and country music :)

4 comments:

A Keeper's Jackpot said...

Welcome back!

Suzy ~ lorenzstudio said...

This looks like fun!
If we ever head out to Memphis, I'm going to consult you for the cheesiest spots around!

Rosebud Collection said...

Sounds like you had a great time..
Pictures are great..Glad you started to blog again..welcome back.

Katie L. said...

sounds like a fun time! it's always the worst to come back home though, isn't it?